9.26.2009

Strange dreams

Well its been awhile since I have been able to sit down and write out a nice long blog for all of you guys back home. First of all, I can´t believe I have already been gone for over a month. I miss you all dearly! Unfortunately since my last post we have had 4 volunteers in our training class ET.aka.Early Terminate. It is sad to see them go but I think they all made the right decision for them. Things have been hectic here in Community Based Training aka CBT. Our director of the Community Economic Development sector, Tim, is great! He is a lot of fun and we are all learning a lot from him and each other as we are plowing through some of the basic business skills and community diagnostic skills for when we are sent to our own sites. Hopefully it will all come in handy. I live in a small community called Arroyo Blanco, in English that is White Stream basically. My family is great! At first everyone was very quiet around me, quite possibly because I was only the second American that they had ever seen. The first being a PCV that had worked on a water project and got running water going for most members of the community. Strange to think that only 5 years ago this small community did not have running water. The food is great here in the country side, so great that I broke a zipper on a pair of jeans today. Anyway, although there are 15 of us in the CED program, we are all divided into different communities based on our language skills and we have a language instructor that also lives in the community with us for Spanish class each day. I am the only PCV girl in my community, with 3 other guy trainees so that always makes things interesting. I must admit, I feel a little silly when I am the only girl playing soccer-baseball with the Dominicans and 3 other PCV´s but you gotta live a little right? The other volunteers are all pretty far away but at least I get to see them when we have technical classes. It will be interesting to see how things will be when I am ALL ALONE in a community!

Besides all of this, my Spanish has improved from a 6 to a 7.5 out of 10 on the ACTFL scale which I am pretty happy with! I feel more confident with my Spanish now than when we first arrived in the capital, although the campo accent is tough getting used to I am understanding more each day. Bucket baths are actually not as bad as one would imagine either...and I´ve stopped wearing makeup. Besides that, all of us volunteers are having the most wild vivid dreams because of these darn anti malaria pills...I wake up every morning and its always something new. Its kind of like I have two lives.

Today was amazing. We went to 27 charcos and climbed the rocks-cliffs and jumped off of them into the refreshing blue turquoise water. I felt a little silly in the life jacket and helmet but it was still SO refreshing!! Especially after a long week of Spanish class and tech training, it was a well deserved trip.

Tonight I will spend the evening dancing merengue and bachata in the living room of my barn like new home celebrating my host dad and brothers birthdays. It should be an eventful evening, with our without electricity. Most likely without. Again, just like the bucket baths, not nearly as bad as you would imagine. Stay tuned, Peace and Love!

1 comment: