8.27.2009

This is LA VIDA!!

I have to admit, overall I am having a great time here in the DR. I love my family, the training center is great, our training staff is excellent and I could not ask for a better group of trainees. Despite all of this, life in another culture can be extremely difficult. I had my first breakdown this morning which I am sure is only the first of many. Lets just say some female problems and not being able to find my keys this morning sent me into a fit of tears on and off for an hour. Sleeping in a bed of sweat last night didn't help matters. This is something one should know before ever living in the Dominican culture, is the saying "se fue la luz". Yes, that is Spanish for the lights went out. Happens AT LEAST 30 times a day. It really is a fantastic life, and I am not even being sarcastic. In the U.S. the majority of us would not dream of this. It is really weird because I don't think that half of us Americans realize how much we have in comparison to the developing world.

Also, most of us can remember times when there was more litter in the streets. And then the litter campaigns. And then the fines came. Just like seat belts being just an idea, and then were proven to save lives, and now a law. And the fines. So we obey because it is better for the environment and it is safer. We discussed these concepts in training today because people here do not wear seatbelts, although there is a law, it is not enforced. There is litter pooring out of the rivers here in Santo Domingo into the Carribean and it is very saddening to see this. We discussed how if the streets and the rivers were kept clean, tourism may go up here in Santo Domingo and help create more jobs and even better paying jobs for those living in poverty. 40% of Dominicans currently live in poverty.

Wherever I end up living for my 2 year community project, I would like to help create some kind of campaign to help clean up the area that I am living in. Get people involved and help them understand why it is important to treat the environment better.

Tomorrow night I think I might go to the "Car Wash" with several other volunteers. The car washes, yes actual car washes, are where people hang out and drink a few cervezas. :) I am excited to go and see what it is all about and spend some time getting to know the other volunteers outside of training.

*Ands*

1 comment:

  1. Querida Andrea,

    I have been busy with orientation here in Merida but have been thinking about you. I only have 10 students this semester but SIX of them are seniors who have absolutely no idea where they are going from here. Sound familiar? I have used you as an example and will continue to do so. Do you remember Mikayla from Drake? She did an internship with the former Central student who stayed with us for a couple of days during your semester. Well, the organization hired her for a full time community organizer position when she graduated. Needless to say, Mikayla is also a good example of taking advantages of opportunities that present themselves.

    First, WILL pass the language test....not to worry. You know you know the grammar. Take your time, read the questions carefully, remember the little details like "voy A la biblioteca"...those details that can trip us up.

    Otherwise, it all sounds so exciting and challenging at the same time. You are so perfect for this opportunity.

    I loved reading your descriptions of your daily life...both the good and the difficult.

    Looking forward to more.

    Un abrazo...Val

    ReplyDelete